Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To Blog or Not to Blog...

     While it may not be THE question, it is one I have contemplated for a while.  At first is seemed like a strange idea, just writing your thoughts to write your thoughts and put them out there for the whole world to see.  But, after dabbling in the idea of doing freelance work, and realizing the balance that must be kept with work, school, and family life, I decided the last thing I needed were more deadlines. I knew I was kidding myself if I thought freelancing would replace my current income, and I knew I might drive myself into the ground trying to make it do so.  I chose to quit perusing monster.com and focus on the commitments I already had.  While that decision seemed sound, I still had an urge to satisfy my love of writing.
     Poetry was my first literary crush, and kept me grounded during a childhood that was anything but.  I'm sure a psychologist would consider medication after reading some of it, but it was actually its own medicine.  As I got older, I enjoyed things that had distinctive parts, cold hard facts and things you could rely on (also lacking in my life at the time).  Short stories were a perfect outlet, even research reports that I did during SUMMER VACATION.  What was wrong with me?!  I'm still not sure that things are quite right, but what I wouldn't give now for 3 months of doing nothing.   In high school I wrote for the school paper, which was satisfying enough, but left little room for my own creativity.  Then...nothing.  For almost 10 years.  While my life careened and stabilized, I left writing behind.  The one thing I always had control of, I abandoned.  I don't know if I am trying to make up for lost time, or if I am looking for something life-changing in the letters on the page (screen in this case).  All I know is that I answered "yes" to blogging, and here I am.

     Language is the ultimate tool, and I am trying to get it back.

2 comments:

  1. Hello blogger. Today I actually had some free time and started to read your blog. At first I was not sure if I was interested in so much words but the more I read the more I like the way you write...now want to give you one of my two cents..... I think you should write because you like it because it makes you feel good, write in they way you like it how you like it and not how people expect you to write. Say what you feel and how it makes you feel, so far I like how you write. Keep up the free writing.......... A friend who cares ;-)zzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your one cent. But what is the other one? I'm glad you enjoyed reading, I think part of what I like about writing is doing it in a way that pleases others a well. :) I will try to conjure up some things I feel more passionate about, but you may be asking for a headache!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! Let me know what you think, or just leave a note to say hi!