Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Last Day of Freedom...I Should be Running

     Today is the last day of winter break.  And even though I am not in the sixth grade, and most of  my days were filled with a real job and other grown up responsibilities, I have that dull ache in my heart that accompanies going back to school.  That ache, however, is also brought on by the neglect I treated this break with.  As I tell people when they seem surprised I am still a student, I am on the 10 year plan.  This means that compared to the average person, who has completed their bachelor's degree in the standard 4 years, I have been lucky enough to feel the joy and loss of 6 more winter breaks in my life.  You would think by now I would have learned to treat them with respect, savoring each moment, well aware that it would all be over soon.  Perhaps I would be running, in preparation for the Havasu Half in which I have my participation solidified in my mind (haven't registered yet though!  WWFS?*).

    A couple of times a year, when some type of competitive (I only compete against myself, or I would be a sore loser!) event comes up, such as the HH, I get psyched.  I write out an elaborate training schedule, complete with diet and time increases over the weeks, and then I put it in my desk.  And that's it.  I'll run here and there, always telling myself I have blank amount of months/weeks/days left to get serious.  Then when I realize I've paid $75 to do what most people won't do for free, in just two weeks, I kick it into high gear.  But for anyone who even jogs on a regular basis, you know this is too little too late.  Way too little too late.  I read somewhere that there should be no more than a 10% distance increase in no less than 6 weeks.  So if the race is in April and I've been running approximately zero miles then I guess that would be...near impossible.  Any math experts in the house to tell me the numbers?  I'm too scared to try.

     The point of this post it that I'm lazy.  Well, no not exactly.  It is that I'm tired of telling myself I have those arbitrary amounts of time to get serious about things, about life.  It is that wasted moments can never be replaced.  It is to reiterate to myself, and anyone else who needs it, that words and numbers and team names may look good on paper, but it's the action behind them that takes you places.

So, self, and groupies...suit up!

*WWFS? = What Would Freud Say?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Wasted moments can never be replaced and it is action that counts. It is, however, okay and I think, necessary, to now and then just sit and relax, focusing on each breath or feeling a wonderful breeze on our face. Equally important is to find that one thing that we can be passionate about and spend time regularly participating in it in some way. That one thing that takes you to a place where it is just you and "it", and you feel only peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! Let me know what you think, or just leave a note to say hi!