Thursday, June 7, 2012

I Got Flowers Today

     When I was least expecting it.  It wasn't an "I'm sorry" move, or an "I'm about to tell you something I'll be sorry for" move (at least I don't think, I guess the later could come at any time after receipt of the gift).  It was, on my best assumption, an act of kindness and a reminder of being in someone's thoughts.  And, no matter what people say, it really is the thought in this type of gesture that counts.  Sure, the flowers are a nice perk!  And the thought part is important and meaningful mostly because it was a prelude to the gift.  For instance, being told, "You were in my thoughts all day, I almost bought you flowers", is not the same.  At all.  In fact, the simplicity of being in ones thoughts with an afterward like that is almost a slap in the face (someone might literally get slapped in the face), rather than heartwarming.
     
    The least expecting part is right up there with being thought of.  Not to be taken as an "I was least expecting to think of you today, but I did, so here", but more on the side of the party being gifted. Expecting something is like begging for a let down.  In the off chance the expectation is met, it only leads to more potential let down.  This idea can be applied to many different scenarios; waiting for a proposal, planning on a raise, thinking the bathroom will be cleaned because you worked all day...you get the picture.  My point is that expectation should be taken lightly, in moderation just as any other pleasing, tasty, vodka-ish, thing out there.  Like I said, I wasn't counting on getting flowers today, so if it hadn't happened, I wouldn't have felt any different.  But it did happen, so I was that much more excited and surprised.  


     Now I just have to find a way to tell my husband...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Let me know what you think, or just leave a note to say hi!